On March 23rd, J.C. Anderson made the decision to “hit the pause button” and suspend all field operations. We did not approach the decision lightly. Because we are an interiors-only construction company, with the majority of our work conducted in multi-tenant buildings, this presented some unique challenges on our jobsites. There were several deciding factors to suspend our work:
- Multiple jobsites were shut down due to tenants in the buildings testing positive for COVID-19.
- Other jobsites were shut down due to one or more subcontracting partners testing positive for COVID-19
- Several of our suburban project sites were unable to get critical inspections because the municipalities were closed for this type of activity.
- The space we were working in did not allow us the space to comply with CDC guidelines related to social distancing.
We made this decision to allow JCA the time to help ensure our workforce and subcontractors would be working in safe environments. We did not feel comfortable proceeding as an essential business and sending our employees and subcontractors into harm’s way until we had the time to assess our jobsites and make sure we had a site-specific plan to keep everyone safe.
During this pause, we were able to individually assess each and every one of our active jobsites to help ensure:
- The Building Owner/Property Managers had the appropriate cleaning/sanitizing procedures in place and were complying with all CDC guidelines related to social distancing for all common areas in which our employees and subcontractors would come into contact (ie; loading docks, freight elevators, common restrooms, etc.)
- The Building Owner/Property Managers have procedures in place to notify and take appropriate measures if anyone in the buildings test positive for COVID-19
- All jobsites have the appropriate cleaning/sanitizing products for both workers and all surfaces
- All jobsites have the appropriate PPE equipment
We will get through these challenging times together – we have never lost focus on our partners and the SAFE completion of their projects.
Michael L. Yazbec, President
Steven C. Boulukos, Chief Operating Officer