J.C. Anderson got its start in 1879 in the aftermath of Chicago’s Great Fire, helping to rebuild the city as a plastering contractor. We’ve since grown to become the largest interiors-only contractor in the Chicago area. Recognized as solutions-oriented professionals who prioritize open communication and getting the job done right, our firm believes it’s what’s inside that matters — both in terms of what we build and who we are.
This means our spaces are built with the end user in mind, always going beyond function to create a thoughtful, inspirational atmosphere. It also means the character of our team sets us apart from the rest. We take the time to understand your goals, and then we share in them. It’s this drive that has lead to nearly 140 years of successful partnerships and proven performance.
1879 - 1930s: JOHN CHRISTOPHER ANDERSON
1879: Plastering craftsman John Christopher Anderson founds the company, which still proudly bears his name today.
Early 1900s: John Anderson rents space in Chicago’s Monadnock Building to better serve the retailers, developers, and corporate captains that would give Chicago its new face of commerce.
1916: J.C. Anderson is incorporated, establishing the company as one of Chicagoland’s largest plastering contractors.
1940s - 1960s: MATTHEW & JOSEPH SCHUMACHER
1940s: Matthew Schumacher joins J.C. Anderson as a skilled plasterer, bringing along his son, Joseph, to learn the trade. Together they gain a reputation for hard work and skill, leading to deep relationships with key partners throughout the Chicagoland area, including ComEd, who we continue to work with today.
1960s: As drywall increases in popularity, J.C. Anderson adapts by developing drywall and carpentry capabilities.
1970s: JOSEPH SCHUMACHER, WITH SONS JIM & TOM
1976: After rising from plasterer to a management position, Joseph Schumacher acquires the company. With the help of his sons, Jim and Tom, J.C. Anderson expands to become an interior general contracting firm.
1980s - 2000s: JIM & TOM SCHUMACHER
Early 1980s: The brothers focus on building current and new relationships to broaden the reach of their general contracting firm.
Mid 1980s: Partnerships with Texas developers (and their rapid expansion into the Chicagoland market) allow J.C. Anderson to become a trusted general contractor for owners/landlords, expanding the firm’s clientele base.
Late 1980s: After working at 64 East Jackson, owned by Lyon and Healy, J.C. Anderson is well positioned to build a relationship with DePaul University when they purchase the building. J.C. Anderson’s knowledge and experience at that location allows them to become a trusted partner to the University — a partnership that provides them the ability to diversify into higher education and has endured for over 30 years.
2010s - PRESENT: MIKE YAZBEC & STEVE BOULUKOS
2014: President Michael Yazbec and COO Steven Boulukos aggressively pursue a controlled growth strategy, acquiring new capabilities and continuing to grow the company’s services and use of technology to streamline processes. During Michael and Steve’s tenure, the company has consistently grown.
Today: We maintain an average workforce of 150 employees, including degreed construction specialists, project managers, superintendents, and a self-performing operation of union carpenters, tapers, and laborers. We do tenant interiors for all types of clients and have a full suite of professional services, including preconstruction consulting, estimating, project management and jobsite technologies such as Sage and Fieldwire.